It’s here! Oh no we have to wait 10 more days!
Barely a year old the Samsung Galaxy S4 has been replaced by the new and improved S5 which was officially unveiled yesterday (April 1, 2014 ) in the Grand Ballroom of the Sheraton Hotel, Tsim Sha Tsui. It’s not a surprising move as sales of the S4 were not meeting corporate targets even though sales figures showed it to be ahead of the S3 at the six month mark, analysts surmised that competition from HTC’s One, Sony’s Experia Z, and the iPhone 5S contributed to the retardation of the Samsung Galaxy S4 sales. Samsung’s decision to hold the unveiling on April 1st was ironic as many in attendance was expecting a same day launch, but the “other shoe finally dropped” with April 11th announced as the official Hong Kong launch date. Along with the unveiling of the S5 a number of accessories and partner devices were introduced which included three new wearables the Samsung Gear 2, Gear 2 Neo, and Gear Fit.Galaxy S5 – Special Features The new S5 boasts a number of significant improvements that include a tricked out camera, biometric security, improved battery life, and faster data downloading.
- A 16 megapixel camera with an enhanced menu and user interface that allow consumers to effortlessly take, edit and share photos. Offering the fastest autofocus speed up to 0.3 seconds and the advanced HDR (Rich Tones). Also new Selective Focus feature allows users to focus on a specific area of an object while simultaneously blurring out the background. With this capability, consumers no longer need a special lens kit to create a shallow depth of field (DOF) effect.
- Finger Scanner, biometric screen locking feature and a seamless and safe mobile payment experience
- Ultra Power Saving Mode turns the display to black and white, and shuts down all unnecessary features to minimize the battery consumption
- Download Booster, an innovative Wi-Fi technology for boosting data downloading speed by bonding Wi-Fi and LTE simultaneously
- IP67 dust and water resistant
Galaxy S5 – Specifications
- Android v4.4.2 (KitKat)
- 5.1” Full HD Super AMOLED (1920 x 1080) Display
- 2.5GHz Quad Core
- 16GB Internal memory
- microSD card slot supports cards up to 128GB
- 2,800mAh battery
- 16 Mega-pixel Fast Auto Focus Camera with LED Flash
- 2 Mega-pixel Camera (Front)
- Faster Auto Focus (Phase detection sensor)
- 4k Video Recording and playback (3840 x 2160 pixel)
- LTE Cat4 (150Mbps/50Mbps) / HSPA+ 42.2Mbps / HSUPA 5.76Mbps / 3G / EDGE / GPRS
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 2.4G+5GHz, VHT80 MIMO
- Wireless Connectivity: NFC, Wi-Fi Direct
Special Extra Freebies! Samsung also announced its collaboration with 18 of local and the world’s leading mobile content and service providers to offer GALAXY S5 users more than HK$3,000 worth of exclusive, pre-paid and discounted subscriptions. From local hit entertainment to world’s leading fitness to news to productivity apps that includes;
- 1 month free now SPORTS
- 6 month free subscription to The Wall Street Journal,
- 1 year free subscription Bloomberg Businessweek+
- 2 years free additional 48GB Dropbox cloud storage
- 6 months free and 50GB Box cloud storage
- 3 months free premium account LinkedIn
- 6 months free premium service Workout Trainer
Samsung Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo Designed to take the freedom, convenience and style of wearable technology to the next level, the Samsung Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo offer consumers enhanced connectivity and a completely integrated approach for the most personal wearable experience.
- Changeable straps: The camera is equipped to a main body instead to strap, allowing consumers to change strap colours.
- Customizable themes: The home screen background, clock face, wallpapers and font are customizable to reflect personal taste.
- Seamless communication and instant notification: The Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo allow users to accept or ignore incoming calls and messages, as well as to provide instant notification options based on a user’s activity and habits. You can answer your call on both devices
- WatchON Remote: Both devices can control TV and set-top boxes through the WatchON Remote application and an embedded IrLED sensor.
- Music on the go: The addition of a standalone music player with Bluetooth headset means people can leave their smartphone at home and still enjoy their music on the go.
- Personalized fitness motivator: Both devices allow users to develop a customizable fitness routine and monitor their heart rate in order to improve their overall well-being.
- App & device compatibility: The Samsung Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo let users connect to a wide variety of Samsung devices and access an enriched application ecosystem as the first wearable powered by Tizen based wearable platform. Samsung Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo are compatible with more than dozens of Samsung GALAXY smartphones devices.
- Dust and water resistant protection (IP67): Prepares users for any adventure throughout the day.
Samsung Gear Fit Samsung expands the industry-leading wearable line with Samsung Gear Fit, the first curved, SUPER AMOLED wearable device for the active consumer. The Gear Fit offers the unmatched convenience of Samsung Gear technology with the most comprehensive fitness tools available, empowering consumers stay physically active without sacrificing personal style or mobile connectivity.
- Curved SUPER AMOLED touchscreen display comfortably contour to consumers’ wrists even during the strenuous of activities.
- Changeable straps allow users to express their individual style, changing the look of the Gear Fit to match their outfit or mood for any type of activity.
- Customizable themes include a variety of wallpapers, background colors and clock designs for users to set according to their taste.
- Instant notifications from GALAXY smartphones such as incoming calls, emails, SMS, alarm, S-planner, 3rd party apps while consumers are on the move so they can stay connected.
- Personalized fitness motivator provides real time and personalized advice with workout recommendations to achieve your fitness goals.
- Dust and water resistant protection (IP67) prepares users for any adventure throughout the day.
Availability and Suggested Retail Price The Samsung Galaxy S5 (Shimmery White and Charcoal Black); Gear 2, Gear 2 Neo, and Gear Fit will be available on April 11, 2014. Samsung Galaxy S5 Electric Blue and Copper Gold will be released at a later time, updates will be available on Samsung’s official website. Samsung Galaxy S5 – HK$5,998 Samsung Gear 2 – HK$2,498 Samsung Gear 2 Neo – HK$1,898 Samsung Gear Fit – HK$1,698 Accessories S View Cover (White, Black. Green, Gold & Pink) – HK$299 Flip Wallet Cover (White, Black. Green, Gold & Pink) – HK$239 BTC Kit (White) – HK$329 Gear 2 / Gear 2 Neo Strap (Black, Brown, Orange & Gray) – HK$369 Gear Fit Strap (Black, Orange, Gray, Red, Blue & Light Green) – HK$199 For more detailed information, please visit www.samsung.com or contact Samsung customer service hotline at (852) 3698 4698. Story and photos by James Lee Whittle